Lisa R. Burchi
Senior Regulatory Specialist
Lisa Burchi’s work involves Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) regulatory and enforcement matters. She has particular expertise in data compensation matters under FIFRA and in the European Union (EU), assists companies in complying with requirements applicable to products regulated under FIFRA (e.g., pesticide devices, treated articles, minimum risk pesticides), and also counsels on matters related to California law, including Proposition 65 and ingredient disclosure regulations. She delivers more than 25 years of experience in these highly specialized fields.
Prior to attending law school and joining The Acta Group (Acta®), she worked as a nominations clerk for the Senate Judiciary Committee.
- Assisted pesticide companies in FIFRA data compensation arbitration proceedings, including valuation of the data, preparation of arbitration filings and witnesses, and negotiation of settlements.
- Represented companies in responding to opportunities to show cause regarding alleged violations under TSCA and FIFRA, resulting in no enforcement action or significantly reduced penalties.
- Represented companies in responding to Notices of Refusal of Admission or similar holds on imported shipments of pesticide products and pesticide devices to allow such shipments to enter the United States.
- Conducted company-wide TSCA and FIFRA audits, including site visits, training, plant audits, and development of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Counseled various consortia on policy issues, product stewardship, responsible chemical management, and conduct of testing to advance scientific understanding of health and environmental safety.
- Advised companies on issues arising under the EU Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulation, Biocide Product Regulation (BPR), and Plant Protection Products (PPP) Regulations, including substance registration, data sharing/compensation, and trade secret matters.
Professional and Community Involvement
- DC Bar, Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Section
Articles and Writings
Lynn L. Bergeson, Bethami Auerbach, Lisa R. Burchi, Carla N. Hutton, and Zameer Qureshi, Authors, Case Studies in Regulatory Concepts. In Chemical Risk Governance, Adam DK Abelkop, Lucas Bergkamp, Lynn L. Bergeson, and Bethami Auerbach, Editors, Elgar Encyclopedia of Environmental Law, Edward Elgar Publishing (2023).
Lynn L. Bergeson, Charles M. Auer, Co-Editors; Timothy D. Backstrom, Lisa R. Burchi, Lisa M. Campbell, Sheryl L. Dolan, Richard E. Engler, Ph.D., Margaret R. Graham, Oscar Hernandez, Ph.D., Carla N. Hutton, Kathleen M. Roberts, Contributing Authors, New TSCA: A Guide to the Lautenberg Chemical Safety Act and Its Implementation, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (2017).
Lynn L. Bergeson, Editor; Bethami Auerbach, Lynn L. Bergeson, Lisa R. Burchi, Lisa M. Campbell, Sheryl L. Dolan, Ruth C. Downes-Norriss, Carla N. Hutton, Leslie S. MacDougall, Henry M. Jacoby, Kathleen M. Roberts, Contributing Authors, Global Chemical Control Handbook: A Guide to Chemical Management Programs, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (2014).
Lynn L. Bergeson, Lisa M. Campbell, and Lisa R. Burchi, The TSCA Basic Practice Book, ABA (2000).
“California Chemical Regulatory Policy Update,” Bergeson & Campbell, P.C., for NACD Members, (July 15, 2021).
“FIFRA Hot Topics for Team Biden,” Key Regulatory Updates: Europe, Asia and The Americas 2021, (March 25, 2021).
“Regulatory Relief—EPA and COVID related Disinfectants and FDA on Hand Sanitizers,” Household & Commercial Products Association, (November 11, 2020).
“Proposition 65 Warning Requirements — Compliance Strategies,” 2017 ISEA Annual Meeting, Arlington, Virginia (November 29, 2017).