Lynn L. Bergeson
President of The Acta Group (Acta®), Ms. Bergeson counsels clients on issues pertaining to chemical hazard, exposure and risk assessment, and risk communication. She has earned an international reputation in the legal and regulatory aspects of conventional and nanoscale chemical regulatory programs under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the European Union’s Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH), and on issues pertinent to nanotechnology and other emerging transformative technologies. Specialties include chemical product approval and regulation under TSCA, FIFRA, and REACH, as well as nanoscale substances and nanomaterials law, policy, and regulation.
- Assists a global manufacturer of industrial and consumer products to register and maintain chemical product approvals in all jurisdictions in which its products are marketed.
- Assists several biobased chemical manufacturers to address difficult TSCA nomenclature and chemical identity issues and to devise and implement product stewardship protocols to manage these products with downstream stakeholders.
- Assists clients to prepare and obtain approvals for chemicals produced by intergeneric microorganisms.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Regent, American College of Environmental Lawyers, 2022 – ; Executive Committee, American College of Environmental Lawyers, 2022 –
- Immediate Past President, Product Stewardship Society Board of Directors, 2021 – 2022; Member, Product Stewardship Society Board of Directors, 2015 –
- Chair, IBA, Agriculture and Food Section, 2022 – ; Senior Vice Chair, IBA, Agriculture and Food Section, 2018 – 2021
- Appointed by Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley to serve on the Washington College Board of Visitors and Governors, 2013 – 2016, and by Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, 2016 – 2022
- Chair, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, 2005 – 2006
- Chair, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources Special Committee on TSCA Reform, 2009 –
- Vice Chair, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources Committee on Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know, 2008 –
- Editor, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-To-Know Committee Newsletter
- Member, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources Governance Committee, 2013 – 2014
- Member, Industrial Biotechnology Journal, Editorial Board, 2014 –
- Member, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Nanotechnology Standards Panel (NSP) Steering Committee, 2004 – 2005
- Chair of the Environment, Health, and Safety Committee of the NanoBusiness Commercialization Association
- Member, Steering Committee of EPA’s Pollution Prevention through Nanotechnology Conference
- The President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology Nanotechnology Technical Advisory Group (PCAST nTAG)
- Member, the ISO Technical Committee 229 on Nanotechnologies Steering Committee Member, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s (OECD) Conference on Potential Environmental Benefits of Nanotechnology: Fostering Safe Innovation-Led Growth, Paris, France, 2009
Articles and Writings
Lynn L. Bergeson, Bethami Auerbach, Lisa R. Burchi, Carla N. Hutton, and Zameer Qureshi, Authors, “Case Studies in Regulatory Concepts,” in Chemical Risk Governance, Adam DK Abelkop, Lucas Bergkamp, Lynn L. Bergeson, and Bethami Auerbach, Editors, Elgar Encyclopedia of Environmental Law, Edward Elgar Publishing (2023).
Lynn Bergeson, Richard Engler, Ph.D., Carla Hutton, and Todd Stedeford, Ph.D., co-authors, “Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know 2022 Annual Report,” in The Year in Review 2022: Environment, Energy, and Resources Law, American Bar Association (2023).
Lynn L. Bergeson, Christopher R. Blunck, Richard E. Engler, Ph.D., Kelly N. Garson, Edith G. Nagy, and Todd J. Stedeford, co-authors, “Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know, 2021 Annual Report,” in The Year in Review 2021: Environment, Energy, and Resources Law, American Bar Association (2022).
Lynn L. Bergeson, Christopher Blunck, and Richard E. Engler, Ph.D., co-authors, “Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know 2020 Annual Report,“ in The Year in Review 2020: Environment, Energy, and Resources Law, ABA (2021).
“Preparing A PFAS Gameplan in the U.S., UK, and EU,” The Acta Group and EPPA, (July 11, 2023).
“Reflections on the Current State of TSCA Implementation,” TSCA Reform – Seven Years Later, (June 29, 2023).
“TSCA Reform — Seven Years Later.” This complimentary virtual conference featuring speakers from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and non-governmental and industry stakeholders will provide updates on a host of topics, including the interface of science and policy under TSCA, new chemicals, risk evaluation and management, the regulation of articles, and more.
“Navigating Non-Alignment of PFAS Regulation in the EU, UK, and US,” Lexology, (June 7, 2023).